Friday, May 22, 2009

First Real-Time Post!

Friday, May 22nd - I always go into work late on Fridays because I have to check out the local garage sales. I have the perfect route - I go through my neighborhood to see if anything is going on and then down the main street to Starbucks. I get my usual (from my Costco Starbucks gift card) and head down Glade against traffic. Today there wasn't much. It's like it's winter again. (I forgot this was a holiday weekend, Memorial Day.)

I drove to the end of Glade and stopped by the post office to mail some CDs that sold online. I had picked up one of them for a dollar at a garage sale a while back and was able to list it for $58! I really never thought it would sell. It's not worth what you list it for until it sells. This funds my garage sale compulsion for a couple of months.

I did find a couple of sales. At the first one I picked up a box of plastic hangers with clips for $2.00. I think I can take what I want/need and sell the remaining ones for about that much. I also got a very large clay vase for $3.00. I noticed a price tag on it later for $58. It has a chip in the base, but I'll turn it the other way. Right now it's on the back patio.

$5 spent, I'm on my way to the freeway to go to work. I find another sale and pick up two kid's DVDs (they seem to resale well) and 1 Hawaiian Christmas CD. The odd CDs seem to sell well on Half and Amazon. The seller wants $10. When I said I'd only get the CD he offered it all for $5. That seemed more reasonable.

At last! Satisfaction - I found DVDs and CDs. Now I can go to work before I'm late for my meeting. I haven't told anyone at work what I do on Fridays and Saturdays, other than expressing you can get good deals. I was complimented on my necklace today, "I really like your necklace, where did you get it?" I wanted to say I got it for $1 at a garage sale, but instead said it was a gift. The necklace is two flat silver mishapened circles hanging from two thin leather strands. It's hip - but I wonder if it's dated; apparently not.

Turns out the two DVDs arent' worth much on line so we'll have to try to recoup the cost at our own garage sale in three weeks (Care Bears and Shark Tale, full screen; wide screen is worth more). The CD did better and I have it listed for $12, but may price it more aggressively to move it out.

Tomorrow is the neighborhood sale across the way that got called off last weekend because of rain. I don't like neighborhood sales - they're crowded, sellers don't always have much. I've had better success elsewhere, but I can't stand the possibility of missing out, so we'll be there at 8am.

No comments:

Post a Comment